Distance Learning and Instructional Technology
Current Bb version: 9.1.201410.160373
Semester templates will be empty course shells. The template content can be downloaded and imported into a course as needed. See below for the available course template packages and continue reading for directions for import and related requirements.
The menu item Instructor Resources (marked unavailable and hidden from the student) contains instructor guides/directives for Blackboard course delivery.
Course Template Packages
Full Flavor (Download — )
Includes default menu items - Announcements, Syllabus, Instructor and Campus Contact Information, Getting Started, Module, Messages, Course Tools, Blackboard Help. This package includes packages 2 and 3 listed separately below.
Orientation/ Getting Started Only (Download — )
Includes Blackboard orientation items – recommended navigation, password change, e-Support, student email, Blackboard messages, assignment submissions, discussion board, Blackboard IM. Bb graded assignments have been removed so that the Grade Center is not affected. Suggestions for creating discussion forum, assignment and quiz are included.
Instructor and Campus Contacts Only (Download — )
Includes the suggested instructor profile, and the contact information for campus services.
Research suggests consistent course design is important to help students navigate multiple courses. To accomplish consistency across courses and to effectively encourage good overall course design, it is required that every course include the menu items at the top and in the order listed (as illustrated in the image at left).
The course content area of the menu is where you can choose the structure for delivery of course content. We recommend:
Dates are also encouraged on the menu to help pace students with course deadlines. For example, course materials/content menu items may read:
To download and import the package:
Click the “Download” link and save the .zip file to your computer. This is the template file that you will import into your new course.
- In Blackboard, open your new course shell.
- Import the downloaded zip package by completing the following:
- Control Panel > Packages and Utilities > Import Package/View Logs > Import Package
- Select a Package – Browse your computer to select the downloaded zip package file
- Select Course Materials – Select All
- You will receive an email confirming the file has been imported. Ignore the "Reported errors" as Blackboard states this is a known issue and does not affect copied material. Return to your new course that has been populated with the new template package you selected. Your course is now ready to copy content from a previous course (if needed).