The Learning Center is located on the lower level of The Paksoy Technology Building on the CCC campus and offers programs in Adult Basic Education (ABE), Adult High School (AHS), GED and English as a Second Language (ESL).
The Adult Basic Education Program (ABE) is a major program at The Learning Center. Statewide, as well as at the local level, more than 80 percent of the student population in the enrolled in The Learning Center programs place at the ABE level.
The AHS (grades 9-12) program allows adults to complete the necessary high school material which will earn them a high school diploma. The program is operated in conjunction with Cleveland County Schools. Students who complete the Adult High School Program (AHS) will receive a Cleveland Community College Adult High School Diploma.
GED preparation classes are offered on-campus, off-campus, and online. The classes are free of charge. All GED students who take the official practice GED test must obtain a score of 500 or higher on each section before they take the official GED test. After demonstrating readiness to take one or more parts of the GED test, students are required to pay a $7.50 examination fee. Before taking the test(s), students must also present a Social Security card, and a North Carolina driver’s license or a North Carolina Identification Card to the GED examiner.
The national General Educational Development (GED) Testing Program is operated jointly by the American Council on Education and the State Board of Community Colleges. The GED preparatory curriculum prepares the adult in five test areas to measure academic skills in writing, social studies, science, literature and mathematics. The North Carolina State Board of Community Colleges awards adults who achieve qualifying scores on the GED examination a HIgh School Diploma Equivalency.
Students enrolling in The Learning Center receive assessment and placement through the following procedures:
1. Students present a valid photo Identification Card from the Department of Motor Vehicles and a Social Security Card prior to testing. All students must be 18 years of age, emancipated, or approved by the Dean of Basic Skills.
2. Assessment is administered to potential students on a walk-in basis or by scheduled appointment. The Adult Basic Education Locator (TABE) is administered to all potential students to determine the appropriate level of assessment. Test results are used to determine class placement. Compensatory Education and English as a Second Language (ESL) students are administered the Comprehensive Adult Student Assessment System (CASAS) test to determine class placement. At the completion of the assessment, students are given a class assignment and program orientation.
3. Class assignment is based on the following:
a. Assessment scores.
b. Where students live or where they would like to attend, if appropriate.
c. Attendance hours required by participating agency or agencies.
4. The instructor provides each assigned student with placement referral information.
5. Post-testing is administered based on hours of instruction, student classroom performance, and by instructor recommendation.
6. No cell phones or other electronic devices are allowed in the testing area.
Violation of this rule will result in immediate dismissal from the test session, and test scores voided. You will not be able to reschedule for another test until the next calendar semester. A violation of this rule by a currently enrolled student will and may be subject to other disciplinary actions as deemed appropriate by the Dean of Basic Skills.
|Classes on the CCC Campus|
|ABE||Paksoy 3116||Staff||MTWTHF||8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.|
|ESL||J. Hunt 2054||Staff||MTWTHF||9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.|
|ABE||Paksoy 3112||Staff||MTWTHF||8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.|
|ABE||Paksoy 3112||Staff||MTWTH||5:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.|
|ABE||Paksoy 3116||Staff||MTWTH||5:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.|
|ESL||J. Hunt 2054||Staff||MW||6:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.|
|AHS/GED Lab||Paksoy 3105||Staff||MTWTH||8:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.|
|AHS/GED Lab||Paksoy 3105||Staff||F||8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.|
|Classes at Other Cleveland County Locations|
|ABE/GED||Day Reporting Center
308 Gardner St., Shelby
|Staff||MTWTH||8:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.
|ABE||Job Link (ESC)
404 E. Marion St., Shelby
|Staff||MTWTHF||8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.|
|ABE/Teach Me to Read||Job Link (ESC)
404 E. Marion St., Shelby
|Staff||MTWTHF||1:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.|
|ABE||Friendship United Methodist Church
111 Friendship Dr., Fallston
|Staff||MTTH||5:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.|
|CED||Durham United Methodist Church
320 E. Ross Grove Rd., Shelby
|Staff||TWTH||9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.|
|ABE||New Bynum Chapel AME Zion
313 N. Cansler St., Kings Mountain
|Staff||MTWTH||8:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.|
600 Cleveland Ave., Kings Mountain
|Staff||TT||5:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m.|
Thursday, March 14, 2013 09:22:38 AM