Auditing a course
A student may elect to audit a course or courses by completing the appropriate form in Student Services. Those auditing receive no credit and do not have to take any examinations; otherwise, participation in class is on the same basis as a credit student. An audit does not meet course co/pre-requisite requirements. The fee for auditing is the same as the fee for credit. By completing the appropriate form in Student Services and notifying the appropriate instructor, a student may change a course classification from credit to audit until the 75% point of the term in which he/she is enrolled in the course. Students may change from audit to credit classification for an enrolled course during the Add Period only. The Add Period is posted in Student Services each term.
Dropping a Course
Official drops may be processed with an advisor or in the Student Services Department. Students may drop a course(s) prior to or on the official 10% point of the term. The course(s) is deleted from the student’s registration and will not appear on the student’s official transcript.
1. A refund shall not be made except under the following circumstances in accordance with the North Carolina Administrative Code:
- A 100 percent refund shall be made if the student officially drops a course prior to the first day of the term or session during which the course begins.
- A 75 percent refund shall be made if the student officially drops from a course on or after the first day of the term or session and up to and including the 10 percent date for the term or session during which the course begins.
2. A student enrolled for more than 16 credit hours will not be eligible for a refund unless the credit hours enrolled are reduced to less than 16 credit hours.
3. This refund is limited to tuition and does not include the Student Activity Fee, accident insurance, liability insurance, textbooks, or supplies.
4. The Add/Drop dates for each term are published on the College’s official website.
Withdrawing from a Course
Students desiring to withdraw from a course(s) after the 10% point of the term should go to the Student Services Department to complete the official Withdrawal Form. Withdrawal with a grade of "W" will be allowed after the 10% point of the term and before the 75% point of the standard or nonstandard term. A standard term is sixteen weeks. A course(s) which was officially withdrawn from will show on a student’s transcript as a grade of "W."
Students who stop attending a course(s) and who are not officially withdrawn or whose absences exceed the allowed maximum during the last 25% of the term will receive a grade (A, B, C, D, F) for the course(s).
Voluntary Medical Withdrawal
In rare circumstances, a student may request a voluntary medical withdrawal due to an illness, injury, or other medical situation which prohibits the student from completing a course. Documentation of the illness, injury, or psychological/psychiatric disorder from a medical professional is required prior to the approval of a voluntary medical withdrawal. Please refer to the Academic Regulations section of the Academic Bulletin & Student Handbook for more detailed information regarding this process.
Thursday, March 16, 2017 01:37:52 PM