International Students | Cleveland Community College, Shelby, NC

International Students

International Students With An F-1 Visa
The College is authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students with an F-1 visa. A student on F-1 visa status must pay out-of-state tuition and cannot be considered a resident of the state. An international student is not eligible for scholarships or financial assistance. The following criteria must be met before a student is accepted to the College and issued an I-20 form:

  1. Provide documentation of English proficiency using official TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) scores. Minimum acceptable TOEFL scores must be one of the following: (a) 550 paper-based test, (b) 213 computer-based test, or (c) 80 internet-based test.
  2. Submit official transcripts showing completion of secondary and post-secondary education from an institution that is equivalent to an accredited secondary and post-secondary school in the United States. All transcripts must be translated into English.
  3. Provide notarized documentation of financial resources verifying sufficient funds to cover all living expenses, tuition, and fees for each year of study.
  4. Provide Cleveland Community College with proof of health insurance prior to enrollment

International students are required to be enrolled for a minimum of 12 credit hours each semester.

Transfer Students
To be eligible for transfer to Cleveland Community College, international students must have completed one semester at the institution that issued the I-20. Transfer students must provide an official transcript and a VISA clearance form completed by the institution from which they are transferring.

Student housing is not available on campus; international students are expected to make their own housing arrangements.

International students cannot be employed on campus during the first year of attendance. After completing one year of attendance, students are allowed to work part-time on campus. Students are not authorized to work off campus except under extraordinary circumstances.

International Students Without An F-1 Visa
All international students, non-immigrant or permanent resident, must submit immigration documents to Student Services. Cleveland Community College follows the North Carolina State Residency procedures in determining in-state classification for international students.

For more information on admissions procedures for undocumented students, please contact Student Services at 704.669.4081