Skip to main content

International Admissions

The College is authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students with an F-1 visa. A student on F-1 visa status must pay out-of-state tuition and cannot be considered a resident of the state. An international student is not eligible for scholarships or financial assistance.

All international students must submit immigration documents to Student Affairs. Cleveland Community College follows the North Carolina State Residency procedures in determining in-state classification for international students.


Admissions Requirements

The following criteria must be met before a student is accepted to the College and issued an I-20 form:

  1. Provide documentation of English proficiency using official TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) scores. Minimum acceptable TOEFL score is 80 on the internet-based test.
  2. Submit official transcripts showing completion of secondary and post-secondary education from an institution that is equivalent to an accredited secondary and post-secondary school in the United States. If the original record is written in a language other than English, a certified copy of an English translation and evaluation is required by an evaluation service recognized by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES).
  3. Provide notarized documentation of financial resources verifying sufficient funds to cover all living expenses, tuition, and fees for each year of study.
  4. Provide Cleveland Community College with proof of health insurance prior to enrollment.

International students are required to be enrolled for a minimum of 12 credit hours each semester. 6 credit hours must be taken in a seated format.

Additional Information

Transfer Students

To be eligible for transfer to Cleveland Community College, international students must have completed one semester at the institution that issued the I-20. Transfer students must provide an official transcript and a VISA clearance form completed by the institution from which they are transferring.


Student housing is not available on campus. International students are expected to make their own housing arrangements.


International students cannot be employed on campus during the first year of attendance. After completing one year of attendance, students are allowed to work part-time on campus. Students are not authorized to work off campus except under extraordinary circumstances.

For more information on admissions procedures for international or undocumented students, please contact the Student Enrollment Center at 704-669-4081 or