Opportunities for employment in the electrical power industry are vast and growing all across the country. The US Department of Labor projects jobs for Electrical Power Line Installers and Repairers in North Carolina will exceed the national average over the next 10 years. The combination of many factors has created a large demand for entry-level electrical line worker skills.
- An increasing number of renewable energy sources must be connected to the electrical grid.
- Our aging electrical grid system requires constant repair, maintenance, and updating.
- Thousands of experienced journeyman linemen will retire within the next five to ten years.
- Fiber optic telecommunication services are constantly expanding.
Employers are actively hiring individuals who have the basic skills, ability, and credentials provided by the Cleveland Community College Electrical Line Worker Academy. If you are looking for a solid career that pays well, enjoy working outdoors, and have no fear of heights, consider becoming an electrical line worker.
Entry-level Lineworker Salary
- More than 1,000 open jobs in NC and SC
- Regional starting pay ranges from $15 – $20 per hour
- Potential to earn more than $50,000 annually
2022 Academy Dates
Registration is open for all Academies. Space is limited. Reserve your seat today.
Spring Academy April 1st – June 10th
Summer Academy June 30th – September 9th
Fall Academy September 28th – December 9th
All students must register and attend an Orientation before enrolling in an academy (704) 669-4015, (Orientation)
The Electrical Line Worker Academy is a 10-week highly structured and intensive training program designed to prepare students with the skills and credentials that employers want. Students will treat the 10-week Academy like a full-time job and are expected to be ready for training every day at 7:30 am. Each week consists of 40 hours of training.
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday – 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Required before Registration of Class
- Be 18 years of age before the first day of class
- Attend and successfully complete an Orientation
- No felonies within the last 7 years
- Valid driver’s license
- Proof of a High School Diploma or High School Equivalency
- NCRC (Work Keys) score of Silver or higher Call (704) 669-4033
- Must weight less than 275 lbs (for equipment safety purposes)
- Acquire and provide a copy of a current DOT Physical from a physician
- Must have a CDL Class “A” permit 4 weeks before Classes Start NCDOT CDL License
- Note: Previously a person had to log into NCDMV for appointments at https://skiptheline.ncdot.gov/Webapp/_/_/_/en/WizardAppt/Units for the tests, although some DMV offices do not require an appointment. The tests needed are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Combination Vehicles
- Note: Schedule appointments if needed for testing
Orientation Dates for 2022 Academies:
Summer Academy (May 25th & 26th).
Fall Academy ( August 17th & 18th).
Winter Academy (November 16th & 17th).
You Must attend one of the orientations to attend any Academy.
You must wear a long sleeve shirt, long pants and work boots with a 1″ heel. No athletic wear will be allowed!
Orientation sessions are open to anyone interested in learning more about the Academy. All students registered for the Academy are required to register and attend an orientation. Call (704) 669-4015 for location of orientation!
Please call 704-669-4015 to pre-register for an Orientation. If you wish to attend the next Lineworker Academy Program you will need the Registration Packet Completed prior to registering for the Academy. Orientation dates may be closed when the maximum class size is reached.
Commercial Driver License
To obtain a Commercial Driver’s License the DMV requires a DOT physical examination. You will receive the necessary instructions when you register. The physical exam results are due before you go to take your CDL Class A Permit Test (Due 4 weeks before Class Starts). Find details on the NCDOT website, Applying for a Commercial Driver License.
Certificates & Credentials Earned
- T&D PowerSkills Powerline Worker
- Pole & Bucket Rescue Certificate
- CDL Class A, “O” Restriction License Exam
- NC Workzone Flagger Certificate
- Incipient Fire Behavior Certificate
- Chainsaw Safety Certificate
- OSHA 10-hour Construction Card
- First Aid CPR AED
- Load Securement/Excavator Training Certificate
- NCWorks Registered Pre-Apprenticeship (400 hrs)
||Who fees are Paid To
||Registration Fee – Basic Lineman I
||Registration Fee – Advanced Lineman II
||CPR & OSHA 10 Certification
|Before Permit Tests at DMV
||Provider of your Choice Paid to Others
|Needed at Orientation
||Lineworker Boots (Approx.)
||Retailer of Your Choice Paid to Others
|Needed 4 wks Before Class
||CDL Class “A” Permit
||DMV Paid to the DMV
||DMV Paid to the DMV
||CDL Skills Test
||No Charge if taken at CCC
For more information or to register, contact Continuing Education at 704-669-4015 or email at email@example.com. You may also visit our office located in the LeGrand Center at 1800 E. Marion Street, Shelby.
Options are available to help veterans and underemployed/unemployed students pay for fees associated with the Academy. Call (704) 669-4015 to speak with a Success Coach as soon as possible to explore financial assistance options that are right for you.
Program Advisory Board
- City of Shelby
- City of Kings Mountain
- City of Gastonia
- Utility Lines Construction Services
- Sumter Utilities Inc.
- Williams Electric Company
- Rutherford Electric Membership Corp.
- Pike Electric
A career as a Lineworker is not for the weak minded or the faint of heart. Working conditions include rain, cold, hot, dark, high winds and every combination of extreme weather you can imagine. Normal working hours apply only when all the lights are on. If someone’s electrical service is out, your work day is not over. Work stations are at an elevated level, if you like staying on the ground floor this career is not for you. High voltage is invisible yet most always present and fear is to be respected and tamed. It’s a Lineworker thing…. you won’t understand…YET.
Current Academy Schedule