- Decide between a 2-year or a 4-year school based on your career goals.
- Use a folder to keep all your info in one safe place. Keep up with all login info–maybe on a note on your phone–and make sure it’s in a safe location and easy to access.
- You will receive emails from TRIO and your guidance counselor throughout the year. Some emails will have deadlines and need immediate attention. Don’t miss deadlines, and check your email daily!
- Use the three resources provided to help you stay organized:
- Senior To Do List – to keep you on task
- 4-year Data Sheet – organize your accomplishments and activities from high school to give to any teacher who agrees to write a reference letter
- My Top 5 Schools – store info about your top colleges
FIND THE UNIVERSITIES THAT FIT YOU THE BEST
College ScoreCard, U.S. News Best Colleges, and CollegeSimply to find the right college fit for you. Search and compare colleges: their fields of study, costs, admissions, results, and more. Click these links to get started.
TAKE VIRTUAL COLLEGE TOURS
CampusTours and YouVisit are great resources that allow you to virtually tour a college campus from the comfort of your home. Click here to begin.
NC RESIDENCY DETERMINATION SERVICES (RDS)
Complete Residency Determination Services (RDS) to receive in-state tuition. Click here to get started! If you need some help, contact us or look at the video we have included.
FREE APPLICATION FOR FEDERAL STUDENT AID (FAFSA)
The FAFSA is Free Application for Federal Student Aid. You will need to complete this form to request student aid from the federal government. Click here to get started. Also, CCC’s financial aid expert is Brinson Blanton – send emails to email@example.com or call him at 704-669-4096 to have all your FAFSA questions answered!
APPLY FOR COLLEGE
Applying for college can be stressful, but if you have the right tools it doesn’t have to be.
You can apply to most colleges through COMMON APP. It’s a one-stop-shop for applying to most colleges.
You can use CFNC.org to apply to most UNC schools, and they offer an event every year called FREE APPLICATION WEEK.
TRIO can send your official college transcripts (CCP courses you have taken) to the 4-year school of your choice. Simply email Ms. Thomas at firstname.lastname@example.org and state that she has permission to send your transcript. Remember to send the list of colleges where you are applying!
If you’re sending your high school transcripts to the college of your choice you can do it by simply logging onto CFNC.org. Click the link here to complete!
APPLY FOR SCHOLARSHIPS
Scholarships are a great way to get free money that you do not have to pay back. You can apply for scholarships through your Senior Counselor’s general scholarship application. This will make you eligible for local scholarships offered to your particular school.
The colleges you’re applying to offer institutional scholarships. Be sure to check the website of the schools you’re applying to in order to find deadlines and qualifications. You can use websites, like FASTWEB, that have you create a profile to find specific scholarships for which you are eligible. Also, we provide a TRIO database of scholarships listed by deadline.